10 best rest day tweets from the Giro d’Italia
The best entertainment we could find with no racing on TV
After two weeks of hard racing it’s time for a rest day at the Giro d’Italia as the riders prepare for a tough final six stages of climbing through the Alps on the way to Milan.
As well as easy rides in the sun and café stops, this gives the riders a chance to pick up their smartphones and put a bit of thought into a few tweets to keep us entertained when there’s no racing to watch.
1. Astana will be paying tribute to Michele Scarponi with special bidons for the rest of the race.
2. Steven Kruiswijk seeing the bright side of a fast and furious stage 15.
3. Why’s he in a field?
4. Peter Stetina with the sort of pro cyclist’s diet we can get behind.
5. Six tough stages means there’s no light at the end of the tunnel for Bram Tankink.
“The last week of the Giro probably looks like this. No light at the end of the tunnel. Climbing and (figuratively speaking) dying.”
6. The Eurosport team are spending their rest day riding, or occasionally walking, up the Stelvio.
7. Jerome Pineau enjoying the rest day… and he retired in 2015.
8. You can always tell a Spaniard from their leg warmers on a sunny day.
9. Laurens Ten Dam needing all the team support he can get with six stages to go.
10. Moreno Hofland’s steed for the rest of the Giro.